6th June 2019
24cm x 24cm Picture Book
Chicken in the Kitchen
What would you do if you woke up one night to find the shadow of a giant chicken passing your bedroom door? Go and investigate of course! A hugely entertaining look at the fascinating masquerade culture of West Africa, from the perspective of a plucky young Nigerian girl who finds the courage to protect the traditions she loves.
- Children’s Africana Best Book Award 2016
- Kate Greenaway Medal 2017 Nomination
- White Ravens Honour List 2016
- Biennial of Illustrations Bratislava 2017
Diversity; masquerades; festivals; West Africa; Nigeria
Key Selling Points:
- Originally published in 2015 to great acclaim. Released for a second time as part of the ‘Lantana Classics’ series.
- An award-winning book by a very popular author, offering a unique window onto West African culture.
- Celebrates diversity and inclusion. #WeNeedDiverseBooks #OwnVoices
About the creators
Nnedi Okoraforis a multi-award winning Nigerian-American novelist (Hugo Award, World Fantasy Award). She is an Associate Professor of Creative Writing at the University of Buffalo, New York.
Mehrdokht Aminiis an Iranian-born illustrator who has been nominated twice for the Kate Greenaway Medal and participated in the prestigious Biennial of Illustrations Bratislava.
Find out more about this book
If you’d like to find out more about this book such as publishing date, where you can buy a copy, then please email us email@example.com